Please note that modules and circuit boards are no longer offered for sale. The information is maintained for historical purposes. You will not be able to place orders for any of the items.
miHomeGarage is an open-source, WiFi enabled, Garage Door Controller you control from your Smartphone, tablet or web browser. You can check the status of your garage doors from anywhere at anytime. The system can be configured to automatically notify you whenever the door is opened or closed using Twitter or text messaging directly to your smartphone. Your existing garage door openers (wall mounted buttons, in-car remotes etc) continue to work as normal. miHomeGarage extends the control possibilities to anywhere on the planet where you are connected to the internet.
So what do you get out of installing the WiFi garage opener?
No more surprises like coming home to an empty garage because someone forgot to shut the garage door on the way out. No more setting out on vacation and having to turn back to check on the garage door when you are already miles down the road towards you destination - a real relationship saver!
Key concepts and features
- A built-in WiFi controller provides web-based monitoring. Modules are available in single door and dual door configurations.
- LED indicators providing visual feedback during installation so that you can make sure that your sensor inputs and relay outputs are working properly.
- Easy to use screw terminal blocks to connect up external sensors and for your future expansion needs
- Firmware can be updated through the WiFi connection at any time
- The controller module runs standalone - all it needs is a power source which can be conveniently provided by a cellphone charger. You do also need a a WiFi connection.
- Connection to your home WiFi network is easily done using the Electric Imp blink-up app which is available from the Apple and Android App stores
Hooking it up
- The additional work you will need to do to mount the switches is detailed in this instructable - Electric Imp Garage Door Opener
Important things to note
- In order for things like Twitter notification to work, you will need to create you own Twitter App which receives notification from your garage controller module. Don't worry, this is easier than it sounds and we have a well documented procedure for doing it.
- In order to receive SMS status messages, you will need to sign up for an SMS service. We use SendHub by default which allows you to get up to 500 SMS messages from your garage door controller per month for free. This too is straight forward and we provide the steps necessary to do this.
- As this is an open system, you can investigate alternative notification methods and update the firmware and software to implement them yourself.
- If you want to modify the firmware, you will need to register as a developer on ElectricImp.com This is free and will give you access to their cloud based IDE for developing code on the electric Imp.
- Power for the module can be provided by a cell phone charger. Make sure the charger is capable of delivering at least 1.0A at 5VDC. We have used iPhone chargers successfully for a long time now.
What we mean by Open Source?